Tuesday, November 15, 2011

El vacationo

We spent a month in Spain and it was a heck of a good time.  I am lucky enough to have been thrown to the wolves of Madrid on seven occasions in the past eight years since Jaime is a Spaniard. My heart just soars when the plane pulls in and I excitedly brace myself for the Spanish vortex I get sucked into after customs and baggage claim. I am always mesmerized when so far from home, and  I revel in watching the people, seeing the high rise apartment buildings, observing  the hustle and bustle of the streets, and diving in.

But you have to get there first. Try a night flight to Seattle, red-eye to Boston, eleven hour layover with all of your luggage,and finally, six hours to Madrid.  The kids were seriously great for all of it, so it wasn't so bad. Just really,really long and exhausting, but worth it for the nice escape it was.  Real life is great and all, but there are times when you just need to get the heck out of town and your nearest Safeway. The weather was nice and warm, we caught up with lots of friends and family, and everyone fell in love with Eloisa (as was expected) and affirmed their love for amazingly bilingual Rory.  Nothing humbles you like having your four year old translate something for you.  But hey, I’ve got two kids and he has a fresh little brain, so how can I really compete with that?  
My camera died five days into the trip and the ONE thing I forgot to pack was the charger. I might post some more stored on another computer, but here are a few pictures I got with my camera.
The Egyptian Temple in downtown

A euro well spent. We were all impressed!

Out on our morning stroll

Not impressed with my funny face

Enjoying her favorite necklace


Still smiling after losing $75 in a half hour at bingo

Little Rory at 6 months in Madrid.

No comments:

Post a Comment